Wellington, the capital of New Zealand is a beautiful city, well-known for breathtaking walks, for example along the waterfront at the harbor or up to the huge wind turbines. Wonderer Radha’s favorite walking route is along the South Western coast to the seal sanctuary.
Wellington has indeed many touristy sights (such as the must-visit Parliament building), but what you are reading now, dear #Wonderer, is a true local’s guide to Wellington!
The easiest way to get around is by bus. Get a Snapper card and hop on!
Eat & Drink
- Loretta Cafe – EVERYTHING is amazing, so choose anything that catches your eye!
- Maranui Cafe – ocean views and incredible breakfasts, lunch and salad bar.
- Try Flying Burrito brothers for yummy Mexican food. They have an incredible cheese dip!
- Stroll around Sunday market for local produce.
- Although the above places are incredible, you MUST try fish and chips eaten along the waterfront, out of newspaper wrapping!
Enjoy Day & Night
- Go for the “Seal walk” and hike around the windmills on the West Coast!
- Hire a 4 pedal bike or kayak in the harbor, and enjoy the water actively!
- For a cool night out, try Bangalore Polo Club, which serves unlimited peanuts and you just shell them at the bar and drop the shells to the ground. So cool!
- For some further tips on bars to visit, check this out!
Top Female Traveler Safety Tips
Radha says, that Wellington is super safe everywhere (what a city to visit, right?!). Obviously, late night drinking always has its risks, though, so just make sure you are always careful!
If you are in need, just ask someone around you, people are super helpful everywhere and you’ll never be alone!
Try to visit between January and March for the best weather. It’s windy all year round (so plan your travel wardrobe accordingly)!
Anywhere in the city centre is a good choice to stay.
Thank you Radha for the tips!
You can follow Radha on Instagram @globaladmirer and visit her travel site onflightmode.com.
Do you have further recommendations for Wellington? Share in the comments! Do you have recommendations for your city? Please fill out our brand new Typeform and your suggestions could be published next! Help us post the best local city guides weekly!
From Wonderers to Wonderers, with love and care.