This is not a standard city guide you can find anywhere else. GoWonder travellers share their favourite spots from their hometown to create the most authentic guide. Discover the best things to do in the world’s greatest cities. Follow us to Dublin.
Dublin, “The Fair City” is famous for it’s chilled and laid back charm and culture, friendly people and it’s a top travel destination for those looking for the “traditional Irish pub” experience, wanting to sip on some Guinness whilst absorbing the charm of an old pub in the heart of Ireland.
Sara previously shared her tips for spending 24 hours in Dublin, recommending and explaining the main sights Dublin has to offer, but if you’re looking for a more local experience, hidden gems, and more insight, Ishtar’s guide is exactly what you need to read (so read on, Wonderer)! 🙂
It’s a small city, accessible mostly by foot, but the Luas (tramline) is regular and cheap. Also, the DART train serves all the surrounding areas.
Eat & Drink
- Cafe Oasis is a hidden gem on North King Street just 10 minutes walk from the city centre. Visit for good food!
- Ishtar’s go-to café is The Foam Cafe, which says to be a must see! Really quirky and cute furnishings and decor, well worth a short coffee break!
- Your must eat when in Dublin: Guinness pie, Irish brekky, Irish stew, Boxty, Cabbage and bacon, Fish and chips, Coddle.
- Your must drink list: Guinness, Jameson and white, hot whiskey, Baileys Coffee, Red lemonade, Smithwicks, Kilkenny, Murphy, Rebel red.
Thank you #Wonder Caterina and Kat for the must eat and drink tips!
Best of Pubs
- Dublin generally attracts those who want a traditional Irish pub. While Temple Bar is great for a stroll, avoid if you don’t want to be vastly overcharged for a drink. Instead, try having a pint in The Cobblestone Pub, Smithfield for a traditional feel and a reasonable price!
- Bowes on Fleet Street has the Best Guinness ever!
- Celt on Talbot Street is less touristy than Temple Bar, has lots of space and obviously live music!
- There is usually good music in Gogarty’s, The Old Stand and the Temple Bar.
- The Brazen Head is Dublin’s Oldest pub and also has live music.
- If you are looking for something a little less touristy but still with some character, I like the Bank on College Green. It also has a replica of the book of Kells there.
- On Dawson Street is Dublin’s smallest pub, The Dawson lounge which is worth popping in to. It’s tiny!
- Mary Mac’s on Wexford Street is quirky because it’s both a pub and a hardware store!
- Grogan’s on South William Street is an interesting pub because inside they also sell paintings.
Thanks to #Wonderers Myléne (2-3) and Clair (4-9) for the amazing suggestions for pubs around Dublin!
Enjoy Day & Night
- Take a wander around Temple Bar and Grafton Street to hear the buskers.
- A walk along the beach in Sandymount is always pleasant.
- Try and catch the Sunday market in the People’s Park in Dun Laoghaire.
- The Botanic Gardens are free and beautiful for a stroll.
- In the summertime, there are donation-based yoga classes in Stephen’s Green every Saturday at 11 am.
- The Energy Collective is a great monthly/bimonthly club night held in the city center that is very safe and full of happy, friendly ravers and hippies, perfect for female solo travelers to safely enjoy their night!
Top Female Traveler Safety Tips
Avoid Gardiner Street and anything North of O Connell Street at night time!
If you are in need, call 112 for emergency services.
Wrap up warm, the weather is unpredictable at all times of the year! Prepare for wind and rain.
The best of all things is that Ishtar when asked to recommend safe places for Wonderers to stay, she offered her own home! She is on Couchsurfing and lives 10 minutes walk from the city center in Smithfield, so Wonderers, feel free to get in touch with her (just click on her name above to visit her Couchsurfing profile)!
Thank you Ishtar, you are a true star!
Photo by #Wonderer Lexi
Do you have recommendations for your city? Please fill out our brand new Typeform and your suggestions could be published next! Help us post the best local city guides weekly!
From Wonderers to Wonderers, with love and care.
Subscribe for more city guides and news from our community. Can’t get enough of us? Follow for daily updates!
GOWONDER – WOMEN TRAVEL!
JOIN A COMMUNITY OF WOMEN TRAVELLERS AND MEET MORE INSPIRING WOMEN HERE!